Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The RIHA Journal only publishes research articles, no book or exhibition reviews. Articles should be original and innovative, offering new research material and/or new perspectives. Any topic in the history and theory of art and visual culture is welcome.
- The manuscript has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
- Please submit your manuscript to the RIHA institute of your country and/or your field of expertise, if applicable (see: Editorial Team). Otherwise, you may contact the Managing Editor at the Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte in Munich.
Submissions should include:
• Contact details, including name, e-mail address, city and institutional affiliation (if applicable).
• Short academic CV (c. 80-120 words).
• Abstract in English (c. 400-900 characters, including spaces).
• List of 3-8 keywords for free subject indexing.
- Preferred article length is between 20,000 and 50,000 characters (including footnotes and spaces). In general, up to 15 illustrations are accepted.
- The text uses a 12 point font and 1.5 line spacing; all bibliographic information is given within the footnotes, rather than at the end of the text; all illustrations, including their captions, are inserted into the text at the appropriate points.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- Language matters: The RIHA Journal publishes articles in English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish. Translations have to be arranged for by the author, and are required to be carried out by a language professional. The same applies for articles not written in the author's native language: these must undergo a professional language editing organized by the author.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
- Please submit your manuscript by email to a member of the Editorial Team (see ABOUT / Editorial Team)
What Information We Collect
As a general matter, you can browse our website anonymously.
We do not collect your personal information, such as your name, mailing address, or e-mail address, unless you knowingly provide it to us. The following lists the most common ways in which, for editorial purposes, we collect your personal information:
- When you request information or assistance
- When you sign up to our RSS Feed
- When you interact with the RIHA Journal account on a social media platform such as Twitter
Navigation and Functional Cookies
Like many websites, we use navigational and functional “cookies” to optimize site functionality. These cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit certain online pages that record your preferences (e.g. font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep reentering them whenever you come back to the Website or browse from one page to another.
This website is functional without the retention of cookies. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies. For more information on cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Cookies to Track Use of Our Website
Furthermore, RIHA Journal tracks use of our website. When you interact with the website, our servers keep an activity log that does not identify you individually (“Non-Personal Information”). Generally, we collect the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- We collect and store certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Website. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information;
- We collect and store additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- We collect and store your search terms and search results.
The non-personal information collected will only be accessed by authorized persons (RIHA board, RIHA Journal staff and third party that performs data processing activities on our behalf and in line with our policies). It will be retained by the RIHA Journal and will only be used for the purpose of managing the site system and for statistical and audit purposes.
Due to a license agreement with VG Bild-Kunst regarding the use of copyright protected material, RIHA Journal is obliged to report the number of visits to relevant files on the site to VG Bild-Kunst. RIHA Journal only reports the number of visits. It does not report any further session information, neither to VG Bild-Kunst nor to any other third party.
How We Share Your Information
Except as disclosed above, we don’t sell, barter, give away, rent, or permit anyone outside RIHA Journal to use or access your personal information.
General Data Protection Regulation
This website is published in Germany and is subject to The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), an European Regulation concerning the use and processing of personal information. We are committed to processing your information in compliance with the GDPR upon its effectiveness on May 25, 2018.
We will use reasonable efforts to securely process all personal information in line with the rights specified under the GDPR, in particular those related to the following requests:
- Access to your personal information
- Correction of the personal information that we hold
- Deletion of your personal information
- A restriction of processing of your personal information
- Transfer of your personal information to another party
Changes in this Privacy Statement
If you have any questions or requests regarding this policy, please contact us at
RIHA Journal Managing Editor
Dr. Andrea Lermer
Zentralinstitut für Kunstgeschichte
phone + 49 (0)89 289 275 88